We ask for our lessons and loss of peace is their calling card

New Site Forums Question and Answer We ask for our lessons and loss of peace is their calling card

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anthony Gold 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Francine

Anthony, Can you give me Course references regarding the fact that we ask for the lessons we receive? And references that tell me that when I can identify those lessons when I seem to loose peace?

Anthony Gold
    Keymaster

Hi Francine,
    Great questions – as always. The course refers to these “lessons” as obstacles (obstacles to peace, obstacles to love). These are the barriers or blockages that we erect, seemingly to protect ourselves – when in actuality we are further rooting ourselves in the realm of the ego and its special “friends” of sin, guilt, and fear.

One of the more powerful (and direct) passages comes right at the end of the text.

Trials are but lessons that you failed to learn presented once again, so where you made a faulty choice before you now can make a better one, and thus escape all pain that what you chose before has brought you. (T-31.VIII.3)

And then couple that with the following line:

The secret of salvation is but this: that you are doing this to yourself. No matter what the form, this still is true. (T-27.VIII.10)

Thus it seems like we keep “attracting” these same situations over and over (the same kinds of people in our lives, the same kinds of sadness, and so forth). But, it isn’t that we actually attract them, rather we choose them. That’s the real “secret” as we read above – that we do this to ourselves. Thus, the answer is not to change the situations or the people, but rather to change the choice we are making for misery.

Therefore, seek not to change the world, but choose to change your mind about the world. (T-21.in.1)

When we make that different choice, what was once a hurdle or an obstacle or a blockage to peace now becomes the gateway to love.

The holiest of all the spots on earth is where an ancient hatred has become a present love. (T-26.IX.6)

And so we use all of our daily trials as a way to help us see the blockages we’ve erected and the unholy alliances we’re not yet ready to release. From there, we can gently ask the question, “Is this what I really want?” And then we are ready to make a different choice.

The forum ‘Question and Answer’ is closed to new topics and replies.