Script already written?

New Site Forums Question and Answer Script already written?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Francine 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Maria

If all this is a dream or an illusion, or a script which is already written, what difference does it make what I do with my life?

Anthony Gold
    Keymaster

That’s a terrific question.  Recall that ACIM is written on two levels: one is the level of truth or reality – which some have referred to as Level One.  On this level, we are at home in the state of infinite oneness.  You are at home in God, dreaming of exile but perfectly capable of awakening to reality. (T-10.I.2)  This is our true reality, even though our experiences are to the contrary.

Enter the second level the Course is written on, or Level Two, which is the level of the dream or the level of the illusion.  This is one of the many amazing things about ACIM.  It not only sets forth a theoretical framework for reality, but it also is a practical guide for meeting us where we think we are, providing us a means for awakening.  Since you believe that you are separate, Heaven presents itself to you as separate, too.  Not that it is in truth, but that the link that has been given you to join the truth may reach to you through what you understand. (T-25.I.5)

Thus much of the Text and the entire 365 lessons in the Workbook help us not only understand why we believe we are here, but how we can recognize the dream, realize we are the dreamer of the dream, become lucid dreamers in a sense, and awaken from this nightmare of separation.

But while we believe we are bodies here in the world, it doesn’t do us very much good to just say, “Oh, it’s an illusion – it doesn’t matter what I do with my life.”  This world seems and feels very real, with very serious consequences indeed.  So, we would be deluding ourselves even further to say “it’s just an illusion” when we don’t really believe it.

Instead, we acknowledge that we believe we are bodies and we do all the normal things that bodies do: eat, sleep, work, have relationships, try to take care of ourselves, and so forth.  But as we practice ACIM, we realize that we are doing all these things with one of two teachers: either the ego or the holy spirit.  Living our lives with the ego as our teacher, which we’ve become expert at doing, we continually experience pain and despair.  Choosing the other teacher, the still, small Voice for God referred to as the holy spirit, our world becomes transformed from a prison into a classroom.  The happy dreams the Holy Spirit brings herald the dawn of truth upon the mind.  They lead from sleep to gentle waking, so that dreams are gone. And so we find our peace.  Our self-made roles are shifting, and they seem to change from mourner to ecstatic bliss of love and loving. (W-pI.140.3; W-pI.186.8)

Thus we live our lives as we normally do, but remember that our experiences will always be a result of which teacher we’ve chosen.  And as we practice choosing the gentle teaching of the holy spirit, we begin experiencing that ecstatic bliss of love and loving.

Maria

Thank you. The hardest part is understanding that depending on which teacher we choose to be with, our experience will change not not because events will be changed but because we will choose to see the same events differently. Those very events keep us rooted in the illusions and make it more real. Very insightful. Thank you for the response.

Francine

Maria, Like you, I had always assumed that the “script already written” was like the sequence of a novel or the script of a play or movie. Then I had another thought about it: that our lives seem to be more like the script of an epic video game. The video game “script” is already written, but it also allows for player choice at many critical points, and many more minor ones. The beginning point is always the same, and the end is assured, but the time a player needs to take it varies. Each better choice the player/student makes while playing/learning the game makes the game easier and faster, and the mastery of it makes the game more fun and rewarding. I may not have course references for this, but the parallels hold for me.

The forum ‘Question and Answer’ is closed to new topics and replies.