Crucifixion and Resurrection

New Site Forums Question and Answer Crucifixion and Resurrection

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anthony Gold 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

AB

What does the Course say about the crucifixion and resurrection?

Anthony Gold
    Keymaster

That is a great question that you ask and warrants a more detailed explanation, but I’ll try to give a (somewhat) brief response below.

As in many cases in the Course, Jesus “reinterprets” much of what we’ve “taught ourselves” including what is written in the Bible (as well other spiritual texts). In the case of the crucifixion, He makes it very clear that He did not suffer. A few quotes from the Course:

The message the crucifixion was intended to teach was that it is not necessary to perceive any form of assault in persecution, because you cannot be persecuted. (T-6.I.4:6)

The message of the crucifixion is perfectly clear: Teach only love, for that is what you are. (T-6.I.13)

The whole message of the crucifixion was simply that I did not [believe in betrayal]. (T-6.I.15:6)

So, what Jesus is telling us is that the crucifixion is nothing more than choosing the wrong-minded thought system of the ego, which subsequently leads to a projected world of sin, guilt, fear, lack, comparisons, jealousy, anger, betrayal, vengeance, and so forth.

We cannot be persecuted, because who we truly are is part of the one Sonship. But as we’ve forgotten that and dreamed this dream of separation, we think (from the wrong-minded perspective of the ego) that we can be persecuted and that the crucifixion is not only real, but that we are continually being crucified (either by others or by ourselves or by “circumstances”). We “teach” ourselves (again, from the ego mind) that sin and suffering are real, and that in some “incredible” way we needed a “savior” to “die” for us so that we could be “saved” from our sins.

Jesus is telling us that we’ve got it all wrong and that nothing could be further from the truth.

God does not judge his guiltless Son. Having given Himself to him, how could it be otherwise? (T-11.VI.7:6-7)

The dream of crucifixion still lies heavy on your eyes, but what you see in dreams is not reality. (T-11.VI.8:4)

And perhaps most powerfully are these lines where Jesus again makes it very clear that we’ve got the (ego) message totally wrong:

The crucifixion is the symbol of the ego. (T-13.II.6:1)

This world is a picture of the crucifixion of God’s Son. And until you realize that God’s Son cannot be crucified, this is the world you will see. Yet you will not realize this until you accept the eternal fact that God’s Son is not guilty. (T-13.in.4:1-3)

Likewise, the resurrection is choosing the Holy Spirit (or the right-minded thought system of love) that reflects that state of Oneness within the illusion. This is when we realize that we are the ones choosing this, and that the world is a projection of our wrong-minded thought system.

From here we learn that we can choose between the wrong-mind (ego) or the right-mind (holy spirit), and what we see will always tell us which “teacher” (or mind) we’ve chosen. If we experience anything other than joy, happiness, inclusiveness, shared purpose, and an incredible sense of peace then we can be sure we’ve chosen the ego. Because, as Jesus noted above (and throughout the Course), we are love. And when joined with the Holy Spirit, all we can do is reflect that love and experience that love in everything. Even if we come across people behaving in inappropriate, awful ways (as we all do when joined with the ego), when we are joined with the Holy Spirit, we see nothing more than a crying out for love. And when all we see is love (either an extension of love or a crying out for love), then we can’t but help to respond with love – because, again, that is all we are.

Each day, each hour and minute, even each second, you are deciding between the crucifixion and the resurrection; between the ego and the Holy Spirit. The ego is the choice for guilt; the Holy Spirit the choice for guiltlessness. The power of decision is all that is yours. What you can decide between is fixed, because there are no alternatives except truth and illusion. And there is no overlap between them, because they are opposites which cannot be reconciled and cannot both be true. You are guilty or guiltless, bound or free, unhappy or happy. (T-14.III.4)

Not only are we all much more beautiful than we think (as I wrote in the essay below), but we are all sinless and guiltless. Any belief otherwise is simply a choice for the ego. But as we learn throughout the Course, we have the opportunity to choose again – and this time, we can choose the right-minded thought system of the Holy Spirit.

In every difficulty, all distress, and each perplexity Christ calls to you and gently says, “My brother, choose again.” (T-31.VIII.3:2)

I hope this helps.

The forum ‘Question and Answer’ is closed to new topics and replies.